What Is Hemp Extract?
Cannabis sativa is the Latin name for the hemp plant. Since hemp and marijuana are both members of the Cannabis family, they are often assumed to have identical properties. Hemp seed oil is used in cosmetics as an emollient and to provide skin with the omega fatty acids that it needs to replenish itself and protect its surface against moisture loss. Hemp seed oil, in particular, contains the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid and the omega-6 fatty acid linoleic acid.
Seed oil of Hemp is also a source of antioxidant vitamin E and contains beneficial phospholipids, vegetable sterols and amino acids (especially high in amino acid arginine).
How Hemp Extract Works?
In cannabis plants, marijuana and hemp, CBD (cannabidiol) is a natural chemical compound. It is one of two main active substances in cannabis, and the other is the active psychotropic, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol).
Cannabidol, a hemp derivative, is a powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and has been shown in several trials to decrease lipid release from the sebaceous glands (overproduction of this sebum may be one of the factors contributing to acne formation).
What Hemp Extract Does To The Skin?
Hemp extract is commonly used in skincare products. Hemp extract serums, creams, masks, and body and facial oils are all available. Hemp seed oil has long been a common ingredient in skincare products.
- Acne-treating properties: Hemp extract can help reduce the redness, discomfort, and swelling associated with inflammatory acne. Furthermore, hemp extract aids in the regulation of hormones involved in oil production, thus reducing excess sebum.
- Rosacea-calming effect: Because of its ability to reduce inflammation, hemp extract can aid in the relief of rosacea flare-ups.
- Free radicals neutralizing effect: Hemp extract acts to protect the skin from deterioration by neutralizing free radicals.
- Eczema-soothing effect: Hemp extract helps fight the itching and inflammation induced by eczema, as well as other chronic skin disorders such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Reduce Hormonal Conditions: Since hemp extract contains CBD, which is an adaptogen, it can act to reduce the effects of hormones and other compounds released into the body during periods of stress (ie. kinase, nitric oxide, and cortisol).
- Moisturizing properties: Hemp extract has moisturizing properties that can aid in the treatment of dehydration and dry skin.
- Frontiers in Plant Science, February 2019, ePublication.
- Euphytica, January 2004
- Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, February 2018.
- Journal of Cosmetic Science, July-August 2005.
- Oláh A, Tóth BI, Borbíró I, et al. Cannabidiol exerts sebostatic and antiinflammatory effects on human sebocytes. J Clin Invest. 2014.